Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My Favorites List

Panda habitat at the National Zoo

This week I counted up all the DC attractions I planned on recommending before the Mother-Baby and Neonatal conferences, and there are a lot left! It’s been a blast sharing places with you so far and I can’t wait to do it in person next month. Attempting to narrow down my favorites list proved impossible, so the next couple of posts will feature Q&A about places I take my own family and friends when they visit the District. In the meantime, if you want more information or a specific recommendation, leave it in the comment section and I’ll reply there.

I’ve been to DC before. What’s new?
The MLK Memorial! It’s brand-new. The dedication is scheduled for this weekend.

Anything else?
Even if you’ve been to the Museum of Natural History before, it’s worth a second look. The latest exhibit showcases the capsule which brought the 33 Chilean miners back to the surface after the mine collapse last year.

I’ve had enough educational activities. Where can I go to have some mindless fun in DC?
Smithsonian Carousel
 The Smithsonian has an old-fashioned carousel (on the National Mall) which I highly recommend for the young and young-at-heart. No maximum height limit.

We’re coming with a group. Where should we eat?
Definitely try Carmine’s Italian on 7th Street in Penn Quarter. It’s the largest restaurant space in DC; there’s rarely a wait to get a table, the food is delicious, reasonably priced, and portions are huge.

What about dessert?
Homemade pistachio gelato 
Indulge in homemade gelato from local favorite Pitango, just down the block from Carmine’s. Their fresh, seasonal flavors use local ingredients from farms in the surrounding Maryland and Virginia countryside.


I don’t want to take the Metro, I’d rather walk. Where should I go?
Lion cubs at the National Zoo



The zoo! The local lion pride grew a bit last December when seven new cubs were born. It’s an easy walk from the Marriott Woodley Park and since it’s free, you can always go for as little or as long as you like


I hope you’re as excited about the upcoming conference as I am. So, what’s on your itinerary so far?

1 comment: